Am I a Candidate?
Experts at TriHealth Weight Management follow strict criteria when it comes to selecting candidates for our weight loss procedures. These criteria are based on National Institutes of Health guidelines and standards of other bariatric programs nationwide, and are in place to protect your well-being. We want to ensure your ability to follow post-surgical obligations with regards to diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes.
To be a Candidate at Good Samaritan Hospital You Must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 70 (patients older than 70 evaluated on individual bases).
- Have a Body Mass Index of 35 or more with existing complicating medical conditions (e.g. diabetes, sleep apnea, hypertension) or have a BMI of 40 or more with or without complicating medical conditions. (What’s Your BMI?)
- Not have any untreated or uncontrolled substance abuse or psychiatric conditions.
- Be committed to life-long lifestyle changes.
Our Candidate Screening Process Also Includes:
- Surgical consultation*
- Nutrition assessment and class
- Exercise assessment and class
- Mental health assessment
- Review of past five years’ diet history
Additionally, in Many Cases:
- Patients are required to show proof that their attempts at dietary weight loss have been ineffective before surgery will be approved.
- Most surgeons also require patients to demonstrate serious motivation and a clear understanding of the extensive dietary, exercise and medical guidelines that must be followed for the remainder of their lives after having weight loss surgery.