Appetite for Health: Chicken Kabobs
Experts such as the physicians with the TriHealth Cancer Institute stress the importance of a plant-based diet to decrease your risk of developing cancer or a re-occurrence. A plant-based diet includes 5-11 servings of vegetables and fruits per day & should fill half your plate at meals!
Grilling can be a healthy method of cooking. Experts want you to be aware of preventing the formation of PAHs and HCAs, which can increase cancer risk. PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) are produced from the smoke that forms when meats drips onto hot coals. HCAs (heterocyclic amines) are produced when protein gets charred. To decrease the formation of these harmful chemicals, experts recommend the following: clean your grill between uses, choose lean meats, use a marinade, do not char the meat, and consider using foil to catch drippings or use indirect heat and pair with vegetables full of antioxidants.
This simple recipe for grilled chicken and veggie kabobs courtesy of the registered dietitians at the TriHealth Fitness & Health Pavilion fits nicely with these tips! It uses a marinated lean meat paired with colorful vegetables full of antioxidants! Consider trying this recipe this summer!
- 1lb Chicken breasts or tenders, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 Red pepper, cut into cubes
- Small container of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini, cut into cubes
- 1 Summer squash, cut into cubes
- 1 Red onion, cut into cubes
- Small container of mushrooms, cut into cubes
- ¼ c. Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ c. Canola oil
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 T. Honey
- 1 t. Dry basil
- 1 t. Salt & pepper
- In a small bowl, add: balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey, dry basil, salt, & pepper. Whisk together & slowly add in the canola oil; whisking the entire time.
- In a large bowl, add chicken cubes & half of the balsamic mixture, reserve the rest. Stir to make sure all the chicken is coated. Cover with plastic wrap & place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator & start to assemble the kabobs. Alternate veggies with chicken on a skewer until most or all the cubes are used up.
- Place kabobs on the grill. Grill each side for 3-4 minutes. Brush the remaining marinade on the kabobs for one last flavor burst. Grill 2 more minutes.
- Remove from grill & serve!