Video Recipe: Diabetes-Friendly Tilapia Meal
Live Better in Your Kitchen: Meal-Planning Tips from Kroger and TriHealth
TriHealth has partnered with Kroger to show you that living better and eating better doesn't have to be expensive or time consuming. Here, we show you how to make a quick, affordable, diabetes-friendly meal: tilapia with sweet potatoes, broccoli slaw and a gelatin dessert.
Nutrition (per serving): 314 calories, 8g fat, 2g saturated fat, 65mg cholesterol, 493mg sodium, 35g carbohydrates, 4g fiber, 16g sugar, 25g protein, 221% DV vitamin A, 110% DV vitamin C, 24% DV calcium, 12% DV iron
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 pound (about 4 each) frozen tilapia
- 2 teaspoons Kroger Blackened Seasoning Mix
- 4 sweet potatoes
- Kroger vegetable oil spray as needed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 cups Simple Truth Organic® broccoli slaw
- ¼ cup slaw dressing (or to taste)
- 1 package (0.3 oz) sugar-free gelatin, any flavor
- 2 cups light mandarin oranges in juice
- Kroger Fitness grape drink packet
Watch the video above for a demonstration and follow these general guidelines.
- Cut peeled sweet potatoes into "chips" that are about a quarter-inch thick. Spray oven-safe pan with vegetable oil, add potatoes in single layer. Spray again with oil and then top with cinnamon. Place in 425-degree oven for about 15 minutes.
- Thaw tilapia and place in non-stick, oven-safe pan. Top with blackening seasoning mix. Place in 425-degree oven for about 10 minutes or until fish flakes apart when pressed with finger.
- Pour broccoli salad into a bowl and mix with a half-cup of dressing.
- Prepare gelatin according to directions on package and place mandarin oranges into bowl with liquid gelatin mix. Put in refrigerator according to package directions.