Garlic and Herb Tofu Spread
Chicken, turkey, roast beef and pork are all mainstays on most menus – which is great if you’re a meat eater – but, what about the vegetarians? Serve up a unique meat-less alternative to please omnivores and vegetarians alike!
Yield: About 6 cups
Total Time: 20 minutes
- One 14-ounce (extra firm) block of tofu
- ½ rib of celery, diced
- ¼ small onion, diced
- 1/8 cup of raisins
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup lite mayonnaise
- Garlic powder, salt and Italian seasoning to taste
- Drain water from tofu. (Hint: Freeze block of tofu ahead of time, then when ready to use, thaw it out. Squeeze the water from it like a “sponge” and the water will come out more completely.)
- Using your hands or a fork, crumble the tofu.
- Add the celery and onion to tofu.
- Mix in the other ingredients and chill.
- Spread on pita chips, chunks of whole grain bread, whole grain crackers, etc.
Learn more about the health benefits of this recipe in our Health Library:
Nutritional information provided by the TriHealth Fitness and Health Pavilion.
Recipe provided by The Veg Head restaurant at the September TriHealth Fitness and Health Pavilion cooking demo.