Recipe: Creamy Low-Fat Snack Dip
Eat to Beat High Blood Pressure
You already know that diet plays a huge role in preventing or controlling high blood pressure, and experts recommend eating lots of fruits and vegetables, reducing amounts of red meat and salt, and choosing low-fat or nonfat dairy products. Get started by trying this delicious, heart-healthy recipe.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix beans and garlic in a blender, adding enough water to achieve desired consistency. Blend for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Use a spatula to scrape the mixture into a medium bowl.
- Stir in the yogurt, cayenne, chives, parsley, tarragon, salt, and lemon juice.
- Serve in a bowl surrounded by radishes, carrots, sliced green peppers, cauliflower or other favorite vegetables.
Learn more heart-health information in the TriHealth.com Health Library: