Recipe: Cheesy Toasty Veggie Hero
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 French rolls
- 1/2 medium eggplant, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained and sliced
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
Preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients (mayonnaise through garlic powder). Set aside. Open French rolls and carefully remove about one-half of the bread from the inside top and bottom of the rolls. Spread the rolls open and place insides down on a baking sheet. Broil for 2 minutes to lightly toast the outsides. Set aside.
Spray a nonstick grill pan with cooking spray, and place over medium-high heat. Place the eggplant, zucchini and onion slices onto the pan, reduce heat slightly and grill for 3 minutes(working in batches if necessary), until the vegetables are browned and softened on the underside. Turn with tongs; brush the tops with balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste. Grill for another 2 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
To assemble, spread 1 tablespoon Parmesan spread on the inside top half of each roll. Pile the grilled vegetables into the hollowed bottom halves, top with artichokes and red pepper and finish with cheese. Place sandwiches openfaced on a baking sheet (both cheese and Parmesan spread sides should be exposed), and broil for 3 minutes, or until cheese melts and Parmesan spread is warm. Remove, and press sandwiches closed. Eat while warm!
Last Updated: September 10, 2015