Recipe: Tom’s Urban Chopped Salad
Quinoa (keen-wah) – more like quin-what? – is a “super grain” that’s often overlooked. It’s high in protein and fiber, but low in carbohydrates, making it the perfect ingredient for amplifying any meal. Pair this grain with fresh vegetables and you have a nutritional powerhouse in the form of Tom’s Urban Chopped Salad.
Prep time: Approximately 20 minutes (if the chicken is already prepared)
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 cup spring mixed greens
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup whole kernel corn
- ¼ cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon roasted, low-sodium sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces baked chicken
- Bake the chicken to desired doneness and cut into small strips.
- Cook the quinoa. (One cup of dry quinoa usually requires cooking in two cups of water or other liquid of choice.)
- Layer quinoa and remaining salad ingredients on top of the shredded romaine and spring mix lettuce.
- Top with chicken breast and drizzle with your favorite salad dressing.
Learn more about the health benefits of this recipe in our Health Library:
Photo courtsey of Savory Sights