Women's Health

Resilience and Remarkable Care Result in Fulfilling Family’s Dream

Amy and her husband, Aaron, had given up hope of having a baby of their own. Both have daughters from previous relationships, but they really wanted to have a son together. After three years of trying without success, they decided it wasn't meant to be. Amy had complications during her first pregnancy 14 years ago, and it was likely she could experience the same issues. 

During her first pregnancy Amy was diagnosed with preeclampsia, a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and signs of damage to another organ system, often the kidneys. Left untreated, preeclampsia can lead to serious, even fatal, complications for both the mother and baby. The only cure is to deliver the baby, but having her first child damaged Amy's kidneys. Despite the risk she would again develop preeclampsia, Amy was still willing to try to have another baby.

The Unexpected Happened

After Amy and Aaron had all but given up their hope of having a child together, Amy became pregnant. As expected, Amy again was diagnosed with preeclampsia, and this time, gestational diabetes (high blood glucose levels during pregnancy). Because of this, Amy was told she would need to see her physician monthly to ensure a safe pregnancy. 

Seven months into her pregnancy, Amy could not hold down water and was in severe pain, unable to breathe. She went to Good Samaritan Hospital where her doctor decided Amy needed to deliver the baby immediately to ensure her and the baby's safety. She was rushed to the operating room where her body started to quickly break down. Her organs started to fail, her blood pressure increased to extremely high levels and she had to be completely sedated. Meanwhile, Amy's husband Aaron had to sit in the waiting room, not knowing whether Amy or their baby would pull through. The last remembrance Amy has of the birth is of before they took her to the OR- when she says, "A nurse asked if it was okay to say a prayer for me. That really meant a lot for them to do."

Baby Aaron, Jr. was born at 27 weeks, weighing a mere 1 pound, 15 ounces. Within the next day he developed pneumonia, blood had been caught in his lungs and caregivers were scared he would develop meningitis, (an inflammation of membrane covering the brain and spinal cord). At one week, it was not clear whether Aaron Jr. would make it. "I was there every night with him. No matter what, I was there," Amy says.

Baby Aaron's Moment of Triumph

Against all odds, however Aaron Jr. pulled through and started to gain weight. He's now 7 pounds, 8 ounces at three months old. "The NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) was amazing. They answered every question I had, no matter how many times I asked. If it wasn't for them he would not have made it," Amy says.

Aaron, Jr. currently has lung disease, which he's likely to grow out of in just two to four months. Amy, now a graduate parent of the NICU, gives back her time and volunteers. "It is very important to me to educate and help other mothers with high risk pregnancies. Sometimes it's not clear at first, but there is light at the end of the tunnel," she says. 

Tags Women's Health

Last Updated: February 24, 2015