Fernside began in 1986 by offering a single grief support group for 16 kids. Today more than 1000 children, teens and adults participate in Fernside support groups annually.
Evening Programs: How They Work
We offer groups for children ages 3 to 18, who are grieving the death of a family member or friend. In the groups, children and teens meet with others their age grieving a similar death. Trained facilitators address a theme each meeting. These themes include feelings, telling our story, memories, changes and many others. Facilitators address these themes through a variety of mediums including expressive arts, games, music, puppetry and group discussion.
Parents and guardians of the children attending groups also meet in their own support group where they receive support in addressing their own grief as well as support and education to help their grieving children.
Fernside collaborates with community agencies to provide groups to meet their specific needs. This year we have collaborated with both Hamilton County DDS and the Children’s Home of Cincinnati.
Support Group Locations:
- Blue Ash - Parent/Significant Adult Loss and Sibling/Cousin/Friend Loss Groups (view map)
- Anderson Township - Parent/Significant Adult Loss Groups (view map)
- West Chester/Liberty/Hamilton - Parent/Significant Adult Loss Groups (view map)
- Bridgetown - Parent/Significant Adult Loss Groups (view map)
- Downtown - Parent/Significant Adult Loss Groups (view map)