Fernside needs volunteers to support the program in a variety of ways:
- Greeter: Individuals pick up and serve pizza and beverages. Most importantly, they provide a warm welcome to all those attending our grief support groups.
- Fundraising: Individuals assist with events such as the annual Hospice Summertime Classic golf event that benefits programming at Fernside.
- Research: Individuals search and review literature on the topic of grieving children and families by visiting local university libraries.
- Office Assistance: Individuals provide clerical support and help with preparation of materials for use in our support groups.
- Support Group Facilitator: Individuals co-lead a support group in our evening program. They are responsible for helping to create a caring environment in which group members share their stories, feelings and memories and discuss how to cope with challenges in their lives. Volunteer facilitators are required to attend a 20-hour training program where they learn about grieving children and adults, group process and have the opportunity to hear firsthand from experienced volunteers and families who have participated in our program. The training is offered two times each year.