Outpatient Surgery Instructions
Having surgery can be both confusing and stressful. We want to help you feel prepared and confident when you or a loved one arrives for a procedure.
The Do's and Don'ts before Surgery
- DO see your primary care physician for a complete history and physical within 30 days of your surgery. If you are on cardiac medication, blood thinners, insulin or any other type of medication that has been prescribed by a physician other than your primary care physician you need to obtain medication guidelines prior to surgery from that physician.
- DO call the Pre Surgical Admitting RN at 513 985 8955 prior to your surgery for instructions, guidelines and important information.
- DO bring your insurance co-payment on the day of your surgery.
- DON’T have anything to eat or drink after midnight before surgery. This includes gum, mints and hard candy. You may brush your teeth, but do not swallow any water.
- DO bathe the morning of surgery.
- DO take medications the morning of surgery for high B/P, heart disease, respiratory, or seizure disorder and stomach disorders with a small sip of water. Consult Bethesda Outpatient Surgery Center or your physician before taking or stopping any medication.
- DO notify your physician of any changes in your physical condition such as fever, productive cough, flu, or skin problems at the operative site.
- DON’T smoke one week prior to surgery to reduce the risks during and after surgery.
- DO wear loose clothes that are easy to change and low heeled shoes.
- DO on the day of surgery, bring a photo ID, insurance card as applicable, living will or advanced directive if you have one, list of current medications and drug allergies, inhalers, insulin as applicable, and a case for glasses or contacts.
- DO arrange for a responsible adult to be in the facility during and after your procedure.
- DON’T bring jewelry (remove all body piercing), hairpins/barrettes, valuables.
- DO if you have an executed Advanced Directive, please provide a copy when you are admitted. Information regarding Advanced Directives is available upon request. Please note that we do not honor Advanced Directives. The hospital will honor your Advanced Directive in the event you would need to be transferred.
Other Information about Your Visit
- If you need to be hospitalized for any unforeseen reason (i.e. pain control) your physician will make arrangement at a hospital.
- During your stay, your pain will be assessed through the use of pain scale and a pain management plan will be established. Effective pain relief will be an important part of your treatment.
- Please be aware that there is limited visiting in recovery. Upon discharge, instructions will be reviewed with patient and family.
At Bethesda Surgery Center, we are privileged to serve you and strive to give you the best in affordable health care services. Many patients have questions regarding billing. We would like
to present you with the following information to help you understand what bills/statements you may expect to receive after your procedure or surgery at the Bethesda Surgery Center.
For any procedure or surgery performed at the Bethesda Surgery Center your doctor’s office will send you a bill/statement for the services provided by the doctor. If you have any questions
regarding the surgeon’s bill, please refer all calls to your doctor’s office.
You will receive a bill/statement from Bethesda Hospital. If you have any questions, please call the billing department at 513 569 6117.
Durable Medical Equipment
Items that may be recommended from your surgeon for post surgical recovery will be provided and billed by Advanced Technology, Inc. If you have billing questions please call
800 435 4695.
If you have surgery, you will receive a separate bill for the anesthesia from Anesthesia Group Practice, Inc. Questions regarding your anesthesia bill/statement call 888 879 7321.
If your doctor sent a specimen to the hospital’s pathology department, you will receive two statements: One from TriHealth the facility for processing the specimen and one from the
pathologist for the interpretation of the reports. If you have questions about your bill call TriHealth 513 569 6117. For questions regarding the bill from the Pathologist call 800 503 6254.
Bethesda Surgery Center accepts most area insurance plans. In the event we are not contracted with your insurance company (in-network), payment arrangement may be worked out. Please note that co-payments and deductibles are due at the time of service. For your convenience we accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.