A chemical peel is a topical agent applied to diminish the signs of aging and treat skin conditions such as acne and discoloration and wrinkles.
- General statement: Chemical peels are solutions applied to the face for skin resurfacing. They work by removing the damaged superficial layers of skin and allowing new skin and collagen to form. Peels are one of several non-operative options provided by Trihealth physicians for skin resurfacing.
- Why? As you age the layers of the skin lose their structural integrity due to time and sun damage. Chemical peels are used to resurface the skin layers to provide a more youthful and refreshed look.
- Are you a candidate? If you have developed thinning skin, pigment changes, or wrinkles on your face then you may be a candidate. The whole face can be resurfaced with chemical peels or a focal area such as around the eyes or mouth can be targeted.
- The procedure and recovery: Different peels penetrate different layers of the skin. Depending on the agent chosen this procedure will be performed either in the office or in the operating room. The recovery from superficial peels is shorter on the scale of 5-10 days. The recovery from deeper peels can take 2-3 weeks but also several months until all of the redness and swelling has dissipated.
- The results: Chemical peels will provide a rejuvenated look with new healthier skin that is more uniform with less pigmented lesions.