Implants increase the chin projection, it enhances the appearance of a receding chin
- General statement: Chin implants are permanent prosthetic devices surgically placed to add volume to the deficient chin. Adding volume helps balance out the facial proportions. Chin augmentation can also be performed without an implant by advancing the bone that is already there.
- Why? A receding chin can create a disproportionate look to the facial appearance. In particular chin augmentation can help balance out the nose and neck areas.
- Are you a candidate? Patients are candidates for chin augmentation if they have a receding or disproportionally looking chin. During a consultation, the physician will also evaluate for an over or under-bite that may require orthagnathic surgery.
- The procedure and recovery: Chin implants or augmentation are placed through an incision under the chin or inside the mouth. Recovery generally takes 1-2 weeks. In some cases, patients may be candidates for augmentation using their own fat in a procedure called fat grafting.
- The results: Results are immediate, but you may experience swelling for several weeks following the operation. Due to swelling the final results will not be fully realized until a few months following the procedure.