Several different techniques used to tighten underlying muscles and/or remove unwanted fat to improve visible signs of aging in the jawline and neck including “turkey wattle,” double chin and jowl lines.
- General statement: The neck is a region that can develop loose or sagging skin. Patients of all ages can benefit from a neck lift if they have developed loose skin or have pockets of fat that need to be removed.
- Why? The neck is an important physical attribute and a sculpted neckline can be a profound and defining feature to a person’s facial profile.
- Are you a candidate? You are a candidate for neck surgery if you have developed loose or sagging skin over time either from aging or from weight loss. Other patients are candidates for neck surgery if they have extra unwanted fat in the region.
- The procedure and recovery: The procedure includes an incision under the chin. Different techniques are implemented to specifically target each patient’s needs. Typically, the muscles of the neck are tightened and any unwanted fat is removed. Neck lifts are often combined with face lifts. If, however, you have an isolated neck lift you will be placed in a wrap for several days. You can expect some post-operative swelling. In 1-2 weeks you will be able to return to light activity.
- The results: A well-defined neck can have an important effect on the facial features. Post-operatively you can expect to have an improved cervicomental angle.