A surgical technique used to improve the shape, position or proportion of ears.
- General statement: Whether born with misshaped ears or acquired disproportionate ears over time either due to age or trauma an otoplasty also known as ear reconstruction can improve the appearance of the external ear. The lobe can also need improvements from prior piercings or trauma.
- Why? Ears come in all shapes and sizes and the intricate folds of the ears can vary from person to person and even from ear to ear on the same person. This can be a bothersome area to patients and improved aesthetics can have a dramatic effect on patients.
- Are you a candidate? If your ear is misshapen either from birth, aging, or trauma, one of our experts at the Trihealth Cosmetic Surgery and Rejuvenation Center can evaluate your external ear for reconstructive surgery.
- The procedure and recovery: The specific procedures depends on the problem being treated. You can expect to be placed in a wrap for several days after the operation. There will be some bruising and swelling.
- The results: Following otoplasty, you can expect an improved appearance of the external ear with the ultimate goal to match the contralateral ear. If both ears require surgery then each will be treated to match a normal looking ear as best as possible.