An injection treatment used to treat and eliminate superficial varicose and spider veins of the legs.
- General statement: Leg veins can be caused by many factors including genetics, prolonged standing, or pregnancy. Sclerotherapy is a non-surgical treatment in which a special solution is injected into the unwanted superficial veins, which causes the lining of the veins to swell and stick together. Over time, the vein turns into scar tissue and disappears.
- Why? The appearance of superficial varicose veins and spider veins over time can cause embarrassment and start to affect what you decide to wear, especially in the summer months. Generally, the problem will get worse with time.
- Are you a candidate? If you are bothered by the appearance of spider veins and superficial varicose veins, you may be a candidate for sclerotherapy.
- The procedure and recovery: During the procedure, a special solution is injected into the unwanted veins. Pressure is applied and you will need to wear compression stockings afterwards, usually for a period of 2 weeks. You will need to avoid strenuous exercise for 1-2 weeks afterwards.
- Results: Typically, results will be seen in 3-6 weeks. Multiple treatment sessions are usually required to achieve the desired results. Veins that respond to treatment usually don’t come back, but new veins may appear.