At TriHealth Physician Partners Gastroenterology, we are experts in the diagnosis and treatment of colorectal disorders that affect the colon and rectum. Our dedicated team supports you and your loved ones though the diagnosis and treatment of many different colorectal disorders.
Colorectal Disorders We Treat
- Colon cancer
- Colon Polyps
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Bowel incontinence
- Anal fissure
- Anal abscess
- Anal cancer
- Rectal prolapse
- Pilonidal Disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Our colorectal service is a collaboration among various specialists. Together, gastroenterologists, surgeons, radiologists, oncologists and nutritionists provide a unified approach of treating our patients. This approach includes a dedication to safety and quality, which is an integral part of our mission.
We also believe in a strong patient education program to support and improve our patients’ health. We understand that the more patients know about their disorder, the more likely there are to have a good response to therapy.
We use the latest technology to provide a safe environment in which we deliver excellent care to our patients and their families.
Anorectal Manometry is a technique used to record pressures from the rectum and anal sphincters. These procedures may be useful in determining the cause of anorectal sphincter dysfunction. Manometry is done as an outpatient procedure and takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
Biofeedback uses the ano-rectal manometry technique to assist with conditioning and retraining anorectal muscles to correct anal incontinence.
Colonoscopy is the visual examination of the large intestine – or colon. The procedure provides significant diagnostic information that is used in conjunction with history, laboratory tests and a physical exam to help determine specific treatment plans. While colonoscopy is frequently used as a screening tool for colon cancer, this diagnostic instrument is also used to diagnose and evaluate many disorders involving the colon and rectum.
Colonoscopy is done using a lighted, flexible video endoscope. This specialized instrument can be directed and moved around the many bends in the colon. The endoscope also has an open inner channel to allow other instruments to be passed through in order to perform biopsies, remove polyps or inject solutions.
Colonoscopy usually is performed on an outpatient basis with the patient mildly sedated. The procedure takes 15 to 30 minutes, followed by a short recovery period until the patient is fully awake.
Colorectal Cancer Screening
At the TriHealth Digestive Insitute, we offer several screening options for colorectal cancer (CRC), including:
- Colonoscopy (every 10 years). Colonoscopy is the only test that is both diagnostic and therapeutic and is the test of choice for most patients.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy, which examines the left half of the colon (every five years)
- FIT yearly plus flexible sigmoidoscopy every five years
- Air contrast barium enema
- Virtual CT scan
- Fecal DNA testing
Colorectal cancer (CRC) is the fourth most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. Approximately 140,000 people are diagnosed with CRC annually and more than 50,000 will die from this cancer annually.
The five-year survival rate for early cancers is greater than 90 percent, whereas the five-year survival rate for late cancers is less than 10 percent. In addition, research suggests that CRC originates in precancerous lesions called adenomas. Therefore, screening asymptomatic individuals for early cancer is important.
Approximately 30 percent of individuals harbor risk factors for CRC, including a personal or family history of CRC or polyps, history of inflammatory bowel disease or familial polyposis syndromes. The other 70 percent of individuals are considered average risk and should be offered screening for CRC beginning at age 50.