Excellence in Breastfeeding Care
TriHealth has pioneered breastfeeding care in Cincinnati for more than 20 years, with the establishment of the first department of lactation consultants at Bethesda Hospitals, followed by a program at Good Samaritan Hospital more than 15 years ago.
Our team of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants has more experience assisting families with breastfeeding than any area hospital. We have undertaken lengthy clinical and educational training. We maintain certification every five years, including re-examination every 10 years by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, to ensure that we are at the cutting edge of evidence-based research and practice.
TriHealth Breastfeeding Care Center: What We Do
In addition to holding the IBCLC certification, our unique team has expertise in complementary areas. Our team includes:
- A licensed and certified speech-language pathologist, who specializes in infant feeding
- Licensed and certified nurses with term and preterm neonatal experience
Our IBCLCs have knowledge of the continuum of breastfeeding from birth through weaning.
Our mission is to provide excellent clinical care combined with the latest educational information in order to assist families in achieving their breastfeeding goals.
TriHealth Breastfeeding Care Center: Outpatient Breastfeeding Services
We have dedicated outpatient breastfeeding services, where we will:
- Assess your baby’s oral structures, state of alertness, and carry out a general assessment
- Assess your breasts and milk production
- Provide pre- and post-feeding baby weight to measure breastfeeding effectiveness
- Identify mother and baby-related feeding problems
- Develop an individualized plan for home that may include:
- Techniques to assist with effective breastfeeding
- Strategies for building and maintaining mother’s milk production
- Recommendations for appropriate method of supplementation that facilitates breastfeeding
- Referral to appropriate health care providers for additional treatment when necessary
We Specialize in Simple and Complex Breastfeeding Problems
Our experienced lactation team specializes in simple and complex feeding issues. Some of the common breastfeeding problems you or your baby may have, include:
- Managing engorgement, mastitis, or sore nipples
- Evaluating and managing under or over production of milk
- Transitioning to breastfeeding with preterm, late preterm, or multiple infants
- Identifying oral structural challenges which may interfere with breastfeeding
- Choosing appropriate methods or bottles for supplementing baby that support transition to breastfeeding