January 12, 2017
Xavier University and TriHealth, two long-time faith-based organizations dedicated to improving the quality of life for all in the Cincinnati community, have announced a 10-year, exclusive affiliation to build a national model of excellence for collegiate health and wellness. Together with the support of Beacon Orthopaedics, the affiliation will focus on four comprehensive commitments:
- Collaboration that leads to unique and innovative health and wellness education programs that will prepare the next generation to lead. TriHealth has a 150-year legacy of medical and administrative education, with more than 275 fellowship and residency program graduates over the past decade, many from Xavier’s Undergraduate Pre-Med and Graduate in Health Services Administration Programs.
- Construction of a new, co-branded state-of-the-art health and recreation center on Xavier’s campus. The facility will be home to Xavier’s academic, recreational and clinical health and wellness programs.
- Student and employee health offerings and wellness programs, led by TriHealth, for students, student athletes, faculty, staff and their families. These resources will be conveniently centralized and available in the newly constructed center on the Xavier Campus. TriHealth offers the most comprehensive, nationally recognized corporate health program in the region.
- Continued growth of Xavier’s nationally ranked athletic program through an expanded, world-class sports medicine team and an enhanced University-based, multi-disciplinary clinical care model for student athletes.
A team of Xavier faculty, staff and students, along with TriHealth leaders and clinicians and other advisors, will begin working this month to develop the facility program and schematic design for the new building. The project size and cost will be determined as part of that process. The new facility will be located on Cleneay Ave/Musketeer Drive near Xavier's student residence halls and the Cintas Center, and is targeted to open in the fall of 2019.
Initial benefits of the affiliation will include:
- Enhanced comprehensive primary care available on campus for Xavier students and employees.
- Expanded and more specialized clinical care and support services to optimize student athlete performance and long-term health.
- Advanced wellness programming to help lower costs and improve health and well-being for students, student athletes and employees.
- Additional educational opportunities for Xavier students, both in classrooms and at clinical placements.
- Expanded employment and leadership opportunities for Xavier graduates in business, healthcare and the community.
- New opportunities to collaborate on the healing ministry central to the Catholic Church.
The affiliation builds on a highly successful 20-year relationship between Trihealth and Xavier, and advances their shared mission to physically, mentally and spiritually improve the lives of those they serve.
“This is a landmark agreement for Xavier and for TriHealth enabling us to dramatically improve health and wellness facilities, services and overall health for our students, our employees and our student athletes, with additional positive impact on alumni, fans and the community,” said Fr. Michael J. Graham, S.J. President, Xavier University.
He added, “We believe our affiliation will be transformational. Together, we’ve developed a bold vision for how health and wellness will be integrated into the fabric of campus life for students and employees alike, and we are excited to bring this vision to life over the next decade. We are collaborating to advance, not just the mission of each of our respective organizations, but also that of our faith-based ministries, which Mark Clement and I in our respective roles both serve and help lead in Greater Cincinnati.”
“This affiliation is uniquely focused, like no other in the country, on caring for the whole person – mind, body and spirit,” said Mark C. Clement, TriHealth President & CEO. “Whether it starts in the classroom, leads to a great performance on the court, drives positive behavioral changes or increases meaningful connections in the community, this affiliation will touch lives and transform people, not only on campus, but throughout the region and nation.”
Clement added, “We’re thrilled to partner with Xavier in this pioneering journey and look forward to the innovative work we will do together in the years ahead to improve health, revolutionize the delivery and financing of health care and contribute to a more vibrant and thriving community.”