A partnership between Good Samaritan Hospital, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center and University Hospital, the Cincinnati Fetal Center is a collaborative program that provides exceptional medical care for women and their unborn babies who have complications related to abnormalities of the baby or issues related to a difficult pregnancy.
Since 2004, our team has evaluated more than 3,759 high-risk pregnancies; this experience enables us to provide the most sophisticated, effective therapies available.
At Cincinnati Fetal Center, experts in maternal-fetal medicine, neonatology, fetal surgery and nursing share a passion for providing exceptional, comprehensive care. Our team specializes in treating complex and rare fetal conditions. Our extensive experience, coupled with our clinical and basic science research to improve fetal care, enables us to provide the most sophisticated, effective therapies available. As we explore the unique challenges and opportunities facing each patient and unborn baby, we often are able to provide unexpected treatment options that offer real hope.
Care for the Full Spectrum of Fetal Conditions
Cincinnati Fetal Center is one of only a few comprehensive
fetal care centers in the world. We utilize advanced technologies and cutting-edge therapies
to treat all medically complex fetal conditions, including:
- Bladder outlet obstruction (BOO)
- Complex congenital anomalies
- Congenital heart defects (in conjunction with the Fetal Heart Program at Cincinnati Children’s)
- Congenital pulmonary airway malformation (CPAM / CCAM)
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH)
- Fetal teratomas and other tumors
- Myelomeningocele (MMC) / spina bifida
- Twin-reversed arterial perfusion
- (TRAP) sequence
- Twin-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS)
Cincinnati Fetal Center offers sophisticated diagnostic testing and comprehensive treatment options. We draw on extensive resources available through the center’s three-hospital collaboration of Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Good Samaritan Hospital and University of Cincinnati Medical Center.
Innovative Treatment Options
Our physicians are passionate about finding novel therapies to improve surgical outcomes and enhance quality of life for patients. Innovation is a hallmark of our approach to care. For example, Cincinnati Fetal Center is one of only a few institutions in the United States offering EXIT as a management strategy for patients with severe CPAM, and one of only a few that can offer surgical interventions for triplet pregnancies affected by TTTS and for patients with TTTS who present with an anterior placenta.
We offer all fetal surgeries, including:
- Ex-utero intrapartum treatment procedures
- EXIT-to-extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- Vesicoamniotic fetal shunting
- Minimally invasive fetoscopic surgery
- Selective fetal laser procedure
- Thoracentesis and thoracoamniotic shunting
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Open fetal surgery for rare and life-threatening conditions
Our team also offers non-surgical therapeutic options:
- Intrauterine transfusion
- Steriod therapy
- Expectant management
- High-risk pregnancy management
- Genetic and prenatal counseling