A Stroke-ready Certified Emergency Department: For the Right Care, Right Now
When a stroke happens, time is of the essence. That’s why the emergency department at Bethesda Butler is stroke-ready certified by the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal. Our certified doctors and nurses are ready 24/7 to deliver immediate care in our state-of-the-art emergency department. At Bethesda Butler Hospital, our 16-bed emergency department is available 24 hours a day to handle emergencies of all types.
Early recognition is the most important factor when it comes to stroke.
Remember to B.E.F.A.S.T.
- Balance - Watch for sudden loss of balance.
- Eyes Is there a sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes? Or double vision?
- Face Drooping Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile.
- Arm Weakness Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- Speech Difficulty Is speech slurred, are they unable to speak, or are they hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence, like "the sky is blue." Is the sentence repeated correctly?
- Time to call 9-1-1 If the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get them to the hospital immediately.
The most common symptoms of stroke are face drooping, arm weakness and speech difficulty. However, there are other associated symptoms.
- Sudden NUMBNESS or weakness of face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Sudden CONFUSION, trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Sudden TROUBLE SEEING in one or both eyes
- Sudden TROUBLE WALKING, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden SEVERE HEADACHE with no known cause
Seamless, Integrated Emergency Services You Can Trust
Our experienced, highly trained staff is ready to deliver quality care to patients of all ages at a moment’s notice. Our full-service emergency department features:
- Coverage by the same physicians who staff all TriHealth emergency departments
- A 99% satisfaction rating among patients
- A section of rooms specifically designed with the needs of seniors in mind, with special equipment, nonskid wood flooring, stretchers, lighting and coloring
- Support of a full range of diagnostic services onsite as well as top-notch surgical and inpatient care
- A fully integrated medical records system, giving you informed accurate, quality care throughout the TriHealth system
- Special services for rape victims provided through TriHealth’s Center for Abuse and Rape Emergency Services (CARES), by SANE-trained registered nurses