Bethesda North Hospital opened in 1970 as a satellite facility to Bethesda Oak, which operated for more than 100 years in Avondale. Bethesda Oak is no longer a hospital, but the name lives on with Bethesda North.
The History of Bethesda Hospital
In 1896, Methodist Episcopal Church minister Dr. Christian Golder founded the German Methodist Deaconess Association in Cincinnati. This was the beginning of Bethesda Hospital with Dr. Golder, a German immigrant, its first president. A heritage of caring for people first was established and is still central, as the great care we provide grows even better.
The first building was a small house in Mt. Auburn. From there the Deaconesses went out into the community by foot and trolley to minister spiritually and physically to all who needed help. As a result of the overwhelming needs they encountered, a small 20-bed hospital was purchased in 1898 for $55,000 on the corner of Reading Road and Oak Street. In two short years, our heritage had taken shape.
1970: Bethesda North Hospital is Born
Bethesda North Hospital opened its doors in Montgomery in 1970. A whole new era in community care lay ahead. Hospitals were emerging from only providing acute care to offering new services and technologies. Bethesda North was a new model, offering leadership in areas such as tomography, mammography, inpatient psychology, cardiac care, speech and hearing, full-time Emergency Room service, occupational therapy, and an outpatient surgery center on campus, to name a few.
In 1995, Bethesda North joined TriHealth, and is now part of one of the most integrated health care systems in the U.S.
The hospital campus has been expanded many times since 1970. Recent additions include the Bethesda North Outpatient Imaging and a seven-story patient tower. Through it all, Bethesda North has increased its recognition as a high-tech, comprehensive medical center, while sustaining its long-standing reputation for personalized, respectful, compassionate care.