Important things to remember about dental health during pregnancy:
- Chronic oral infections such as periodontal disease may contribute to:
- Preterm labor and delivery
- Fetal growth restriction
- Chronic gingivitis causes increases in bacterial products and inflammatory mediators that may affect placental function.
- Routine dental procedures such as cleaning, scaling, polishing and local anesthesia are safe throughout pregnancy.
- We recommend daily, at home dental care, including flossing, and to maintain (or initiate) your dental hygiene appointments every six months during your pregnancy.